- AWS Direct Connect is a cloud service solution that makes it easy to establish a dedicated network solution from your premises to AWS.
- Using AWS Direct Connect, you can establish private connectivity between AWS and your datacenter, office, or colocation environment, which can reduce your network costs, increase bandwidth throughput, and provide a more consistent network experience than Internet-based connections.
- Direct Connect is a direct connection which is available on a dedicated line.
Why Direct Connect is used?
Direct Connect is used because of the following reasons:
- It directly connects your data center to AWS.
- It is useful for high throughput workloads, i.e., when the network traffic is very high.
- It provides you a stable and reliable secure connection.
Architecture of Direct Connect
- AWS Region
In Direct Connect Architecture, we have AWS region, and inside the AWS Region, we have AWS Public services such as S3 and also we have VPC which could be a private VPC.
- Direct Connect (DX) Location
It consists of Direct Connect Location which is spread across the world. Inside Direct Connect Location, we have two cages, i.e., AWS cage and customer/partner cage. AWS cage consists of Direct Connect routers, and Customer/Partner cage consists of Cust/Part Routers.
You have a dedicated link from your data center which is labeled as Last Mile Pseudowire/ LAN Extension. AWS have their own backbone network as well. Through AWS Backbone Network, they are connecting to DX Router over DX connection. X-Connect is connecting DX Routers and Cust/Part Routers. It also consists of a dedicated line connecting the Cust/Part Router to the Customer WAN/MAN Router. What happens is when we run a connection, Cust/Part Router connects to the DX Router through X-Connect. DX-Router connects to the AWS public services through DX Connection. Similarly, a customer data center can connect to the VPC services.
Features of Direct Connect
- Reduces Your Bandwidth Costs
If you have heavy workloads that you want to run in AWS, then AWS reduces the network costs in two ways:
- Direct Connect can transfer the data into and out of AWS directly.
- Direct Connect uses a dedicated link which has a lower data transfer rate than internet data transfer rate.
- Consistent Network Performance
Network latency can vary over the internet as the internet is constantly changing how data is routed from point A to point B. Direct Connect allows you to use the choose the data that uses the dedicated connection which provides consistent network performance.
- Compatible with all AWS services
Direct Connect is a network service that works with all AWS services which are accessible over the internet such as Amazon Storage Service, Elastic Compute Cloud, and Amazon Virtual Private Cloud.
- Private connectivity to your Amazon VPC
Direct Connect can be used to establish a private virtual interface from your on-premises directly to AWS VPC. It can provide you private, high bandwidth network connection between your network and VPC. With the help of multiple virtual interfaces, you can establish private connectivity to multiple VPCs.
Amazon Direct Connect can easily scale the connections to meet your needs. Direct Connect can provide up to 10 Gbps connections. DIRECT Connect can provide multiple connections to meet your needs. Direct Connect can be used instead of establishing VPN Connections as Direct Connect avoids the need for VPN hardware.
You can easily sign up to the Amazon Direct Connect by using the AWS Management Console. AWS Management Console provides a simple view to manage all the connections and virtual interfaces efficiently. You can even download the router template after configuring one or more virtual interfaces.