Best Operating System for Programming
The marvel of technology has graced the present era. Computers are an example of technological marvels that have made our lives simpler, faster, and enjoyable. Computers are a game-changing invention that has shifted human civilization’s trajectory. In today’s time, if you want to become a good programmer, you just need a good operating system. There are various best-operating systems for the programmer nowadays. In this article, you will learn the best-operating systems for the programmer with their features.
- Windows 10
- FREEBSD OS
- Mac OS
- Arch Linux
- Haiku OS
- Manjaro Linux
Ubuntu is the most popular operating system that uses coding. Ubuntu has become one of the highlights of the Linux desktop environment over the years. It has been supported by Canonical and the open-source community. This Debian-derivative is commonly used in cloud and server applications due to its popularity and continued development. It also comes in a different version to meet the needs of users.
Getting .deb packages will not be tough for all your development purposes. Its own Software Center contains many free apps, making it an ideal operating system for programmers. Its LTS version has a five-year support period and provides the reliability of a fixed release. Many developers don’t like its Unity desktop environment. However, Ubuntu has reverted to the GNOME desktop due to several recent modifications.
Features of Ubuntu
There are various features of the Ubuntu operating system. Some features of the Ubuntu operating system are as follows.
- Ubuntu is an Open-Source operating system that allows users to download, use, and share freely.
- Ubuntu is available in 50 different languages.
- It has a built-in firewall and virus protection program, making it the safest operating system available.
- You’ll have access to security fixes and updates for the next five years.
Many programmers use Debian as their primary operating system. Its new ‘stretch’ release was recently released. Debian and its downstream distros have a unique position in any discussion of the best OS for programmers. Debian OS has a large number of packages that provide better stability. It has many tutorials that help you resolve your problem and get better at whatever you’re doing. The Debian testing branch contains all of the most recent software and is relatively stable. It is strongly advised for experienced programmers and system administrators.
Debian is the way to go if you want a rock-solid stable system with many open-source goodies in its repository. It has another advantage is the ability to manage deb packages.
Features of Debian
There are various features of the Debian operating system. Some features of the Debian operating system are as follows:
- It has been tested. It has the same level of stability as many other distributions.
- It’s quite old. Many good developers stuck with Debian, and the community is mature.
- APT is sufficient, and Debian has one of the most extensive software repositories.
- It is concerned with software freedom. Non-free software is split into its own category within Debian repositories, and it is one of the few distributions that constantly use GNU/Linux in its name.
Windows 10 was developed by Microsoft. It is the follow-up to Windows 8.1, which was introduced about two years ago. On July 15, 2015, it was launched to manufacture, and on July 29, 2015, it was widely released for retail sale. Windows 10 receives new releases on a regular basis, which are free to developers and users, and Windows Insiders have access to additional test builds of Windows 10.
Windows 10 includes DirectX 12, alongside WDDM 2.0. DirectX 12 was released in March 2014 at GDC, and it offered “console-level efficiency” access to hardware resources and decreased graphics driver overhead and CPU. Most speed gains are obtained through low-level programming, allowing developers to utilize resources more efficiently and reducing single-threaded CPU bottlenecking caused by abstraction via higher-level APIs. DirectX 12 will also support vendor-independent multiple GPU configurations. WDDM 2.0 introduces new virtual memory management and allocation technique to decrease demand on the kernel-mode driver.
Features of Windows 10
There are various features of the Windows 10 operating system. Some features of the Windows 10 operating system are as follows:
- It is very secure to use the latest version of Windows.
- The loading time of Windows 10 is much less than Windows operating system.
- You may update Windows 10 by clicking the “Update” button, and the file will not affect.
- It provides better stability and performance.
OpenSUSE is a project that promotes the use of free and open-source software. It is well-known for its Linux distributions, most significantly Tumbleweed, a tried-and-true rolling release, and Leap, a long-term support distribution. MicroOS and Kubic are two new transactional, self-contained distributions that can be used as desktop or container runtimes. The community project’s first release was a beta version of SUSE Linux 10.0. The openSUSE Leap 15.3 is the most recent stable fixed release.
One of openSUSE’s main advantages is its YaST package management system, which makes it simple to automate several operations. Another advantageous feature of this dependable Linux distribution for developers is its software distribution strategy. Visit their website and download and install everything you want.
Features of OpenSUSE
There are various features of the OpenSUSE operating system. Some features of the OpenSUSE operating system are as follows:
- It has a great community, a strong development industry, and an entirely professional approach.
- It is designed for developers and system administrators with built-in functionality that helps you manage systems, use containerization technologies and other essential tools for programmers, developers, and sysadmins.
- It provides better stability.
It is a free and open-source OS based on the Research Unix OS, the successor of the Berkeley Software Distribution (BSD). The initial version of FreeBSD OS was released in 1993. In 2005, FreeBSD OS was the most popular open-source BSD OS. It was responsible for installing over three-quarters of all permissively licensed BSD systems.
A security team oversees all software included in the base distribution for the FreeBSD project. Many other third-party apps may be installed by building the source code via the pkg package management system or connecting to the FreeBSD port.
Features of FREEBSD OS
There are various features of the FREEBSD OS operating system. Some features of the FREEBSD OS operating system are as follows:
- It is a very simple and reliable operating system.
- The operating systems may be managed remotely and efficiently by FreeBSD developers.
- The BSD License is less restrictive, allowing the binary-only source to be distributed.
- It may be used as an embedded system because it can readily be upgraded to support PowerPC, MIPS, and ARM processors.
The operating system for Macintosh computers is known as Mac OS. The first Macintosh was released in 1984, and it has been updated numerous times since then, with many additional features. A new number is assigned to each Mac OS release (i.e., Mac OS 8, Mac OS 9).
In today’s time, the Mac OS is taking over the programming world. If you’re a beginner coder, purchasing a high-priced Apple computer might not seem like a good choice. Although, the opportunity to use the Mac OS system would change your mind. One of the key benefits of this OS is that it is user-friendly, making it ideal for those who are just getting started. However, the major draw of this operating system is that it is a fully-featured Unix operating system. The advantage is that you may run programs in almost any language. More significantly, it provides you with a solid basis for operating a Unix system, which will come in handy later.
Features of Mac OS
There are various features of the Mac OS. Some features of the Mac OS are as follows:
- All major productivity software, including Office, Photoshop, and other software’s is available on Mac OS.
- It may execute practically any modern application developed for any operating system via virtualization, virtual machines, or dual boot.
- It is much easy to maintain and easy to use for most computer users than Windows.
Arch Linux is a popular Linux distribution among hardened Linux users, and it includes a Linux kernel and package management. You must start from the ground up, select components, and create a customized operating system that might easily become a wonderful Linux distribution for programming and other development reasons. Because the whole Arch community has some programming experience, you’ll be in good company.
You don’t have to search further if you like rolling Linux distributions. The repository of this cutting-edge distro is always up to date. Its one-time installation is sufficient, and you will be automatically upgraded whenever the latest version is available. As a result, you may concentrate on the development task while ignoring other concerns. If you want to do some penetration testing, you may use these methods to turn your Arch Linux system into a BlackArch installation.
Features of Arch Linux
There are various features of Arch Linux. Some features of Arch Linux are as follows:
- It provides a good coding environment.
- It includes only important bundles.
- The Arch Linux Wiki has a helpful installation guide if you find some problems.
Fedora is a Linux-based OS with open-source features similar to Ubuntu. It is a user-friendly, dependable, and powerful operating system for any laptop or PC. It is a fantastic programming OS for programmers because of its smart auto-config and updated packages. It is also simple to upgrade from one version to the other version. If you don’t like being stuck with an outdated version of OS, Fedora is a good choice because it has a 6-month release cycle.
The Fedora forum is a user-friendly platform where you can share and resolve your problems. Red Hat supports it, so you may expect that it works without problems while the development process. Furthermore, it only ships with open-source components, making it the best choice for open-source users.
Features of Fedora
There are various features of the Fedora. Some features of the Fedora are as follows:
- It is a modern user interface that allows developers to focus on their code in the Gnome 3 environment.
- You may containerize your own apps or use them out of the box with Open Container Initiative image support.
- It provides a complete open-source toolkit, with languages, tools, and utilities all available with only a few mouse clicks or keyboard instructions.
- It allows you to use advanced virtualization tools to set up and run virtual computers.
Haiku OS is a free and open-source operating system that is compatible with BeOS, which is no longer available. The operating system’s development started in 2001, and it became self-hosting in 2008. The first alpha version was issued in September 2009, and the latest one was in November 2012, and the first beta version was released in September 2018.
Haiku is funded by Haiku, Inc., a non-profit corporation created in 2003 by former project leader Michael Phipps and situated in Rochester, New York, United States. It has an object-oriented API and is written in the C++ programming language.
Features of Haiku OS
There are various features of the Haiku OS. Some features of the Haiku OS are as follows:
- The user interface of Haiku OS is clear and clean.
- It has a 64-bit journaling file system that works like a database.
- It has a desktop replicant that is embedded.
- It has preemptive multitasking and pervasive multithreading.
- Its metadata indexing and querying are quick.
People who have difficulty installing Arch should use Manjaro. It has a simple GUI installer comparable to Ubuntu or Linux Mint, simplifying the installation process. According to Distrowatch, it is the second most popular distribution, which speaks a lot about the distro. It is best suited for beginners who are looking for an Arch Linux alternative because it combines all of the capabilities of Arch Linux. Furthermore, Manjaro comes in three editions: GNOME, KDE, and XFCE, so you won’t miss out on your favorite desktop environment.
Manjaro’s development team has done an excellent job of enhancing the overall experience with each new version. Its stable branch is Arch stable, which was only a few weeks ago. It also includes a utility for selecting real-time kernels. Another thing to consider is that there is an OpenRC spin for you if you don’t want your programming operating system to be devoid of systems.
Features of Manjaro Linux
There are various features of the Manjaro Linux. Some features of the Manjaro Linux are as follows:
- It is very useful, and there are various tutorials.
- It’s an Arch-based distribution with all of Arch’s ecosystem and community benefits, but it’s easier to use than Arch.
- It gives you access to the Arch User Repository, which is a vast user-maintained repository of Arch Linux packages.
- It includes support for numerous kernels and an easy way to install them.