What is XPath
XPath is an important and core component of XSLT standard. It is used to traverse the elements and attributes in an XML document.
XPath is a W3C recommendation. XPath provides different types of expressions to retrieve relevant information from the XML document. It is syntax for defining parts of an XML document.
Important features of XPath
- XPath defines structure: XPath is used to define the parts of an XML document i.e. element, attributes, text, namespace, processing-instruction, comment, and document nodes.
- XPath provides path expression: XPath provides powerful path expressions, select nodes, or list of nodes in XML documents.
- XPath is a core component of XSLT: XPath is a major element in XSLT standard and must be followed to work with XSLT documents.
- XPath is a standard function: XPath provides a rich library of standard functions to manipulate string values, numeric values, date and time comparison, node and QName manipulation, sequence manipulation, Boolean values etc.
- Path is W3C recommendation.
Next TopicXPath Expression